Friday, October 10, 2008

Holga! At last!

I have often toyed with the idea of getting into Lomography but never quite got round to it for several reasons. Then, prices of an entry level camera were quite high, and not many places were stocking Lomography cameras.

Lately, two of my students got me interested again when they showed me some pics they took using their Holga cameras. I was hooked and decided there and then I would get one.

They recommended me a Holga 120 series, which in layman terms, takes medium format film. Some research revealed that being a popular brand for Lomography, Holgas had a wide range of accessories available, including 35mm adaptors and filters for their 120 series cameras and there are even several mods available for the base level Holga 120!

I was in two minds whether to get the cheaper plastic lens version or the glass lens version but in the end, one of them suggested the glass lens version, since it was afterall, going at a cheaper price of $75 at InQ Box Suntec. Thanks for the headsup guys! So off to InQ Box at Suntec I went, to put my money down for the Holga 120GCFN which stands for G(glass lens), CF(Color Flash - built in flash with four different color filters for the flash, red, green and yellow as well as the standard white), N(night mode or Bulb mode where the shutter remains open as long as the shutter release is pressed down)

I got a roll of B/W film from a colleague at a throwaway price and the moment I got my Holga, I loaded the film. It's been a long time since I've used film and this is the first time I am using a medium format.

Further reading revealed some minor home modifications one can do to seal up the Holga from light leaks. I am however, going to take my first roll au naturel before sealing it up with gaffer tape or black velcro.

Here it is, straight from the box in its all plastic glory.



I can't wait to develop my first roll of B/W but I am also prepared for the quirkiness of a Holga in that every shot is an experiment!

Random thought of the day - Ansel Adams once said, a good photograph is knowing where to stand.

No comments: